Thursday, June 30, 2016

TFC Canadian Champions 2016 Whitecaps 2 TFC 1 (aggregate 2-2 TFC champs on away goal)

TFC lift the Cup


There are times when your fan loyalties can waver and falter. I estimate that time for me was somewhere near midnight. I was standing in front of my tv and was wondering why do I do this, why do I trade sleep away for the chance to watch my team spin their wheels?

And then Will Johnson scored...
Endoh, in the final seconds of the game, sent an optimistic (but it should have been futile) ball into the goal mouth area. Vancouver keeper Ousted collided with his defender Waston and the ball fell forward onto the onrushing foot of Will Johnson. He paid the price for his goal with a subsequent collision. It was hard to watch his pain while all Reds around him were celebrating.

TFC stuck to a defensive game plan throughout the first half in Vancouver last night and they arrived at half time with a 0-0 score. The Whitecaps came roaring out in the second half and scored twice. TFC seemed to have no answer for that. It seemed just a matter of time before Vancouver scored the goal that would clinch it. We must remember that just seconds before TFC won the cup, Whitecap Blas Perez had a shot go off the post. TFC was a centimetre away from elimination.
And then they found a way to win.
I found a way to hold my arms in the air and whisper/yell "Yes"!

What a karma turnaround in just days. From the last minute call against them in Orlando to the last minute heroics in Vancouver. Saturday night will see TFC end this round of continent crossing with a home game vs Seattle. Until then...

No comments: